South Carolina School for the Deaf and Blind

Low Vision Options

History

  • Our History
     
    Walker Hall circa 1888  
     

     

    First Century

     

    In the late 1840s, a young minister, Reverend Newton Pinckney Walker, saw the need for deaf education in South Carolina. His wife, Martha Hughston Walker, had three siblings who were deaf and had no opportunity for education in South Carolina. Rev. Walker traveled to the Georgia School for the Deaf where he learned teaching methods for individuals who were deaf.

     

    School for the Deaf

    On January 22, 1849, Rev. Walker opened a school for five children who were deaf and a small group of hearing children at Cedar Spring in Southeastern Spartanburg County. The school was housed in a hotel building located on the present campus. In the early years, the school was the private property of Rev. Walker, but the expenses became too great and Rev. Walker convinced the State Legislature to take over the school as a state-supported institution in 1856. The Legislature also allocated $30,000 to construct a building which later became known as Walker Hall, the school’s signature building.
     

    School for the Blind

    During the first few years of the school's operation, Rev. Walker saw the need for educational opportunities for children who were blind. In April of 1855, a department for blind children was added to the school with James S. Henderson, a graduate of the Tennessee School for the Blind, as principal.

     

    Second Century
     
    Cedar Springs AcademyGroundbreaking for Herbert Center, 1976 In 1977, the Cedar Springs Academy opened to serve children who were either deaf or blind with additional disabilities.
     
    The Walker Foundation
    A private fundraising arm was established in 1979 and named The Foundation for the Multihandicapped, Blind and Deaf of South Carolina, Inc. The foundation was later renamed The Walker Foundation in honor of the school’s founding family.

     

    Outreach Services
    In 1984, a relationship was created with 12 local school districts to begin outreach services delivered to their students by the School for the Blind. Since that time, outreach services have grown to a statewide program including early intervention, vision and hearing services in the public schools, the deaf-blind project, braille and large print distribution center, a child development center, and sign language interpreters.
     
    Early Intervention
    In 1985, a home intervention program for pre-school children, from infancy to age 3, was established.  In 2017, the program was expanded to include 4 and 5 year olds.
     
    Career and Technology Education
    The vocational facility opened in 1984, providing opportunities for students to learn valuable employment skills. Local  businesses partner with the school to provide work-based learning opportunities.

     

    Cooperative Mainstreaming Program
    In 1986, the School for the Blind established a cooperative mainstreaming program with Spartanburg School District 7. In the years following, the School for the Deaf established a cooperative mainstreaming program with Spartanburg School Districts 6 and 7. Through cooperative relationships with local school districts in the Spartanburg area, students are able to take advantage of specialized services and resources through the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind, while taking courses in some of the state’s finest public school districts.

     

    The Cleveland Resource Center opened in 1996.
       Cleveland Learning Resource Center
        In the 1990’s, increased emphasis was placed on the use of
        educational technology, and 1996 saw the opening of the
        state-of-the-art Cleveland Learning Resource Center as the
        result of a $3.2 million partnership. The new resource center
        included state-of-the-art technology, a student library, and a
        parent/professional library.
     
        SC Instructional Resource Center
        The SC instructional Resource Center opened in 2002. The
        center serves as the distribution center for braille and large
        print textbooks for all eligible students in South Carolina. The
        resource center is a collaborative effort between the SC Depart-
                                                                                                  ment of Education and the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind. 

     

    Hughston Transition Living Center
    The new Hughston Transition Living Center opened in 2004. The center is designed so all students, regardless of disability, can live there self-sufficiently. The goal of this center is to facilitate students in learning how to live independently. The building is named in memory of John M. Hughston, the first graduate of the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind who was later named the school's first superintendent who was deaf.

     

    HALTER
    The Handicapped Athletes Learning to Enjoy Riding (HALTER) program moved to its new home onto the school’s main campus in 2006. HALTER is an affordable Therapeutic Horseback Riding program that has served handicapped residents of Spartanburg (and surrounding counties) and students at the South Carolina School for the Deaf and Blind since 1987. (HALTER now stands for Healing and Learning Through Equine Relationships.)

    Kelly’s Kids
    An early childhood development center named in honor of Marcia Hastay Kelly, was dedicated in 2007. The center, located on the school’s main campus, is a partnership between the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind and the Spartanburg County First Steps Early Head Start program. Kelly’s Kids serves children that are six weeks to three years of age who are blind, deaf or sensory multidisabled as well as children who are typically developing.

    Sports Complex
    The SC School for the Deaf and the Blind dedicated a new Sports Complex including a 320-seat fully accessible stadium, concession stand, press box and equipment storage building in 2010.
     
    Herbert Center 
    The Herbert Center Construction/Renovation Project was completed in October of 2011. The project included additional classrooms, a therapy pool, dormitory space, office space, a new sprinker system, and expanded infirmary, improved independent living, and a residential media room. The gymnasium, cafeteria, and building ramps were renovated, and important safety and energy improvements were included.  
     
    President Page McCraw and board member Bob Morrow presented a framed poster to express appreciation to the alumni.
    Colson Outreach Center
    The school reopened a new Colson Outreach Center in 2015. Budget constraints had forced the original center to close in 2010. The new center retained the Colsonname in memory of Millie and Johnny Colson who committed their lives to assisting individuals who are deaf or blind.
     
    Cedar Springs Museum
    The school's alumni completed a full renovation of the Cedar Springs Museum in 2016. It reopened with new exhibits, new information, and a new look in August. 
     
    The museum is open to the public by appointment. To schedule a visit, email Loreta 
    Dylgjeri at ldylgjeri@scsdb.org.  
     
     
    Located on 160 beautiful acres four miles from downtown Spartanburg, the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind campus now includes 40 buildings including classrooms, libraries, vocational training centers, dormitories, and recreational facilities. 
     
     
     
     
     
CLOSE