Safety and Security
The following security measures are used in the Residential Program:
- Staff are required to wear identification badges.
- Bed checks are conducted.
- Students are constantly monitored by staff.
- Security officers are on campus 24 hours a day and check all incoming traffic; guests are given special badges to wear.
- Each dorm is equipped with alarms for the front and back door entrances.
- Staff check exterior doors and notify Security if one is found unlocked and lock it.
Students do not travel on campus alone. Younger students are accompanied by staff. Older students travel in pairs. Passes with their estimated time of arrival are carried and checked by staff that have been telephoned in advance. Sending staff are telephoned when students arrive and it is verified that they are on task.
Surveys of parents of SCSDB students have shown that parents feel that their children are safe at the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind.