Lori Seymour Wins Teacher Appreciation Contest
Lori Seymour of SCSDB's Applied Academic Center won this year's Microburst Learning EmployABILITY Soft Skills Teacher Appreciation Contest.
Microburst received about 200 nominations from students sharing what makes their teachers so special and the amazing ways they are teaching their students EmployABILITY Soft Skills.
Ms. Seymour introduced the EmployABILITY training this year. Students work toward the Employer's Choice Certificate that lets potential employers and postsecondary training programs know that the students have demonstrated important soft skills such as:
- Being on time
- Completing projects on time
- Working as a good team member
- Resolving conflict in an appropriate way
- Demonstrating a positive attitude
- Communicating (both listening and explaining) in a positive and engaging manner
- Planning and organizing work
- Demonstrating initiative
Ms. Seymour explained that employers are asking schools to help students develop soft skills. "Research shows that only 15% of worker success is determined by what they know or hard skills," she said. "The other 85% of success is determined by soft skills."
The Employer's Choice Certificate is a SC State recognized industry credential and must be approved by a Microburst Learning EmployABILITY Soft Skills instructor. The certificate is endorsed by:
- Microburst Learning
- SC Manufacturers Alliance
- Mechanical Contractors Association of South Carolina
- SC Association of Career and Technical Education
- NC Association of Career and Technical Education Trade and Industrial Division
Congratulations, Ms. Seymour!